This week I would like to introduce you to the co-founder and CEO of Energetek, Eva Gerrits. Energetek is an energy brokerage and consultant company that is also focused on renewable alternatives. If you are unaware of the commercial and industrial industry space then know that Eva is paving a way for other female entrepreneurs and leadership as this industry is heavily dominated by males.
As a male, I am well aware that there are certain challenges that I am not going to encounter. Very early on in her career, she was faced with sexism that had career-altering implications. But let me be clear, Eva’s story is not a victim story, it is one of strength, focus, and determination to get the goals that she desired.
In today’s episode, you will hear how important it is to reflect on all phases of your journey because each phase plays a key role in your growth. You will also hear from Eva, how challenging it can be to stay the course in the pursuit of your dreams when it is within an industry that is fraught with sexism. Finally, you will discover that regardless of the challenges, your dreams are your dreams and nobody should detour you from your pursuit. Like every startup story we have told thus far, we need to start at the beginning, and for Eva, it was her early upbringing that set the foundation for her strength and determination. This is Eva Gerrits’ startup story.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Eva’s early years, being the oldest sibling, having the freedom to make choices, and her early childhood experiences
- What Eva thought she wanted to do in her early twenties, what she ended up doing and how it got her to where she is today
- The reality that other people's opinions play no role in building your dreams
- Her experience at a small company and how it helped her learn many skills she utilizes in her business today and how the big perks to a small company are that you can learn a ton of different aspects of an enterprise that you can't get in a huge organization.
- Eva’s experience with unfairness and sexism in the workplace as a woman, including how her work responsibilities were greater than someone who was actually getting paid much, much more and how she dealt with it all
- Her mindset during the six months where she was strategically planning her exit from a volatile work environment
- Her transition from employee to entrepreneur
- Energetek, a female lead company, who they are and what they do
- What excites Eva about her work today
“If it was not for the challenges and experiences I’ve had during my journey I would not be the person I am today.” – Eva Gerrits, Energetek
“Do not ever stop sharing your ideas and your strengths regardless of whatever industry you find yourself in. That industry needs the authentic YOU.” – Eva Gerrits, Energetek
Resources from this episode:
Connect with Eva on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eva-gerrits
Energetek’s website: https://energetek.biz/
Energetek on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/energetekbiz/
Energetek on Twitter: https://twitter.com/energetekbiz
The Startup Story community has been so incredible sharing our podcast with others, and we thank you! We do have more stories to tell and more people to reach. There are three ways you can help.
First, the most powerful way you can support this podcast is by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Second, follow us on Facebook and Instagram, and be sure to share your favorite Startup Story episodes with your friends and on social media. Tag or mention @thestartupstory.co so we can give you a virtual high five and a thank you!
Lastly, share the podcast on LinkedIn. The Startup Story podcast is for entrepreneurs. Don’t underestimate the power of sharing on LinkedIn so other entrepreneurs can discover us.
With your support, we hope to further our reach in encouraging and inspiring the founders of today and tomorrow. Thank you!