Goli’s journey brings many different elements together for one dynamic story. She was born in Iran and moved to the United States. She is a self-professed perfectionist and steered her life based upon the praise of others. When she realized that it was her concern for other people’s opinions that kept her from leaving the career she hated, she had a decision to make. Should she continue to live a life that pleases others or should she live the life she was capable of? She obviously chose the latter.
In this episode, you will hear how hard it is to realize you’ve spent your entire life driving for a singular goal only to realize how miserable you truly are. Plus, Goli will share just how crippling a perfectionist mindset can be. Goli’s story is a unique one for The Startup Story because it is the first one where our featured founder was not born in the United States. Goli is an Irani-American immigrant, and if there is anything we have learned in our Startup Story journey, it is that our early childhood is incredibly influential in the shaping of our entrepreneurial future. This is Goli Kalkhoran’s startup story.
In this episode, you will hear:
- There are strengths in perfectionism, but there is bondage with it as well
- Getting away from being a slave to other people’s opinions
- The challenge of admitting that you want a change and mentally preparing to even say it out loud
- Wrestling with the narrative in your mind that blocks you from doing something
- How looking at your skills in the past can be paralyzing until you examine what you like and discover what you want to work towards
- The fundamental shift in Goli’s mindset once she started listening to entrepreneurial podcasts, knowing that everyone has the same fears, and slowly building confidence
- Learning in entrepreneurship there is no set path and dealing with some of those frustrations as learning experiences
- “Perfectionism is your fear of failure disguised”
- Realizing future ventures will be more successful because you’re further from where you started
Resources from this episode:
Connect with Goli on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/golikalkhoran
Follow Goli on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lessonsfromaquitter/?hl=en
Lessons From A Quitter Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/lessons-from-a-quitter/id1412305413?mt=2
Lessons From A Quitter Website: http://www.lessonsfromaquitter.com/
Usie Booth: https://www.usiebooth.com/
The Startup Story community has been so incredible sharing our podcast with others, and we thank you! We do have more stories to tell and more people to reach. There are three ways you can help.
First, the most powerful way you can support this podcast is by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Second, follow us on Facebook and Instagram, and be sure to share your favorite Startup Story episodes with your friends and on social media. Tag or mention @thestartupstory.co so we can give you a virtual high five and a thank you!
Lastly, share the podcast on LinkedIn. The Startup Story podcast is for entrepreneurs. Don’t underestimate the power of sharing on LinkedIn so other entrepreneurs can discover us.
With your support, we hope to further our reach in encouraging and inspiring the founders of today and tomorrow. Thank you!