I'm huge fan of incredibly creative individuals, especially those involved in woodworking. And my guest this week, Brandon "Monk" Muñoz, is a handcrafted furniture designer and artist. He is the founder of Monkwood Studio where he designs unique furniture and interiors that change the atmosphere of work, living spaces and retail establishments. His work includes some of the most beautiful studio desks and tables you will ever see.
In this episode, you will hear just how hard it can be for founders, like Brandon, to leverage their creativity to make a living. Plus, you will come to understand that every founder's journey has numerous points of stopping and resetting, but that every founder's journey continues on.
Brandon's story is one of exploration and self-understanding. In fact, he knew he was a creator at an early age, but what he didn't know was exactly how far his creative ability would take him. This is Brandon Monk Muñoz’s startup story.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How Brandon was creative from an early age and even created a mural of Jimi Hendrix on his bedroom wall at the age of 13
- How inclinations as a child are a huge key to what your passion really is, showcased through Brandon’s own storytelling
- The importance of his parents unwavering support as he explored various artistic mediums throughout his childhood
- His time at Otis College of Art and Design
- How and where he learned the painting techniques he uses in his works today
- His first experience with building furniture and how it all seemed so magical to him
- About his time working at Jim Henson’s Creature Shop and what he learned from the experience
- Hitting rock bottom, going back home to live with his parents, and climbing back up, building furniture in their garage and ramping up business from there
- His own series of stopping and resetting and how he always continued on, despite failures and hard life lessons
- The importance of keeping peers within your industry close; so you can learn and grow
- The start of Monkwood Studio: how, when, and where it all began
- Brandon’s passion for furniture making, art and creativity
Resources from this episode:
Our Sponsor, Movocash: https://www.thestartupstory.co/movocash
Monkwood Studio: https://monkwoodstudio.com/
Connect with Brandon on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brandonmonkmunoz
Follow Monkwood Studios on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/monkwoodstudios/
Follow Brandon on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/monkwood_/
The Startup Story community has been so incredible sharing our podcast with others and we thank you! We do have more stories to tell and more people to reach. And, there are three ways you can help.
First, the most powerful way you can support this podcast is by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Second, follow us on Facebook and Instagram and be sure to share your favorite Startup Story episodes with your friends and on social media. Tag or mention @thestartupstory.co so we can give you a virtual high five and a thank you!
Lastly, share the podcast on LinkedIn. The Startup Story podcast is for entrepreneurs. Don’t underestimate the power of sharing on LinkedIn so other entrepreneurs can discover us.
With your support, we hope to further our reach in encouraging and inspiring the founders of today and tomorrow. Thank you!