This episode marks our 34th episode since we launched in January 2019. When The Startup Story launched we had no audience. Yet, even with not having an audience, Jason McCann, the Founder and CEO of VARIDESK, was gracious enough to share his Startup Story for our launch.
There is a high chance that you have not heard our first few episodes. For that reason, we are going to bring our first two episodes off the shelf to ensure they make your podcast queue. This week is the first of those two episodes. I hope you enjoy this episode as it originally aired on our launch date of January 15, 2019.
Today’s startup story comes from Jason McCann, founder and CEO of Varidesk. While Varidesk is a global company today, Jason's story is not one where you assume everything he has ever done has been a success. Today he shares his early beginnings from selling beach chairs all the way to the burst of the dot.com bubble and later, how Varidesk came to be.
Jason’s startup story is one of resilience. You will learn that every challenge or obstacle has a key learning principle. In fact, Varidesk’s success is a result of Jason's ability to listen and learn. This episode is your opportunity to be mentored by a founder who has built a company with over 270 employees and ships product over 30 different countries daily. Get ready to learn and be inspired. Here is Jason McMann with his Startup Story.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Jason’s early beginnings in Galveston, TX, including being introduced to the first entrepreneur/CEO in his life; his mom and how her energy, passion and leadership had an impact on him
- How he started his very first business at the age of 14
- His start in the hotel management industry and how it led to owning his first restaurant
- Moving on from the restaurant industry to selling pogs while working on his Masters degree, plus his time at DSI Toys
- Creating a dot.com business, recognizing the dot.com bubble was bursting, his mental space after the ultimate collapse and what happened next
- How the idea of Varidesk started with a cardboard box
- Prototypes, presentations and adrenaline rushes in the early days of Varidesk
- Varidesk’s customer and employee relationship mentality and Jason’s vision for the future
Resources from this episode:
Share your Varidesk Story: Varidesk.com/startupstory
Connect with Jason McCann on LinkedIn
Good to Great by Jim Collins https://amzn.to/2HgRID1
Thrive, by Arianna Huffington https://amzn.to/2CYIiYy
Podcoin code: startupstory
The Startup Story community has been so incredible sharing our podcast with others, and we thank you! We do have more stories to tell and more people to reach. There are three ways you can help.
First, the most powerful way you can support this podcast is by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Second, follow us on Facebook and Instagram, and be sure to share your favorite Startup Story episodes with your friends and on social media. Tag or mention @thestartupstory.co so we can give you a virtual high five and a thank you!
Lastly, share the podcast on LinkedIn. The Startup Story podcast is for entrepreneurs. Don’t underestimate the power of sharing on LinkedIn so other entrepreneurs can discover us.
With your support, we hope to further our reach in encouraging and inspiring the founders of today and tomorrow. Thank you!
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Contact him today at https://emeraldcitypro.com/startupstory